Blake Lively and Justin Baldoni are locked in disagreements over attorneys’ fees and legal protections tied to California law.
Blake Lively and Justin Baldoni are locked in disagreements over attorneys’ fees and legal protections tied to California law
The actress, 38, and filmmaker, 42, recently reached a settlement in their explosive legal dispute over It Ends With Us, but the courtroom battle surrounding the film appears far from finished as new court filings in the long-running dispute reveal there are ongoing disputes linked to the case.
New filings reported by People show there is still disagreement over whether Blake can recover attorneys’ fees or damages under California Civil Code Section 47.1 – legislation designed to protect individuals who report alleged sexual harassment, discrimination or retaliation from retaliatory defamation lawsuits.
In a May 8 court filing, attorneys for Wayfarer argued Blake “dismissed her three remaining claims without the Wayfarer Defendants paying a cent” – despite the actress initially seeking $300 million in damages.
A source close to the star told People: “For Blake Lively, this was never about money – it was about exposing bad actors who are also harming others.
“She didn’t settle her claims until the documents exposing the bad actors behind smear campaigns were made public – documents that have led to other lawsuits and investigations.
“With this motion, she is breathing life into a groundbreaking statute designed to protect survivors from retaliatory lawsuits.”
The issue emerged from Justin’s now-dismissed $400 million countersuit against Blake, along with related claims involving Wayfarer Studios chief executive Jamey Heath, publicist Jennifer Abel, financier Steve Sarowitz and crisis PR consultant Melissa Nathan.
Before Blake and Justin’s settlement was finalised, US District Judge Lewis Liman dismissed several claims in the broader case, including sexual harassment and defamation allegations, while allowing retaliation-related matters to continue.
Blake’s attorneys, Michael Gottlieb and Esra Hudson, later described the settlement as “a resounding victory”.
They said in a statement to People: “By agreeing to this settlement, and waiving their right to appeal, Justin Baldoni and every individual defendant now face personal liability for abusing the legal system to silence and intimidate Ms. Lively.”
Justin’s attorney, Bryan Freedman, rejected that interpretation.
Bryan said: “Let’s be clear, this is a win and total victory for the Wayfarer parties.
“The court had already dismissed 10 of Ms. Lively’s 13 claims, including every sexual harassment claim, every defamation claim, and all claims against the individual defendants.”
He added: “Ms. Lively voluntarily dismissed the rest. In our view, they settled because they knew they were going to lose in court.”
Lawyers for Wayfarer have also argued California’s legal protections should not apply because many incidents connected to filming allegedly took place in New Jersey, where much of It Ends With Us was shot.
Last week, Judge Liman reportedly indicated he did not currently require additional briefing on the issue.
The dispute has unfolded during a particularly visible period in Blake’s career, with the actress continuing to attract attention for both It Ends With Us and ongoing public appearances alongside husband Ryan Reynolds.
Justin, meanwhile, remains known for his role in Jane the Virgin and for directing relationship-focused dramas including Five Feet Apart.
Blake and Justin agreed earlier this month to avoid a high-profile trial that had been scheduled to begin on 18 May in New York City after their legal conflict exploded after allegations first made by Blake in December 2024, when the actress accused her It Ends With Us co-star and director Justin of sexual harassment and alleged he and associates linked to Wayfarer Studios orchestrated a smear campaign after she raised concerns about conduct on set.
Justin has denied the allegations throughout the proceedings.
Earlier this month, both sides issued a rare joint statement reflecting on their work together on It Ends With Us, the film adaptation of It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover.
The film became one of the year’s most talked-about releases amid both box office success and intense media scrutiny surrounding the legal fallout between its stars.
The statement said: “The end product – the movie It Ends With Us – is a source of pride to all of us who worked to bring it to life.”
It added: “Raising awareness, and making a meaningful impact in the lives of domestic violence survivors – and all survivors – is a goal that we stand behind.”
